Monday, July 30, 2007

Funny

So the other day, I was thinking to myself that whenever I read other people's blogs they are always full of amusing events, funny things that happened to the writer, but nothing funny ever seems to happen to me.

Never think that.

Today, like a karmic bitch-slap, I was hit with what is known as Way Too Much Funny at Once. I nearly peed.

I was at the pharmacy, waiting in line for my prescription. There were two people in front of me, and the lady at the front of the line, being helped, was the kind of person who has no volume control at all. You know, the kind who doesn't realize that everyone around them doesn't want to hear every single thing they have to say. So she gets her prescription, and the ensuing conversation goes something like this (only I promise you, this is the condensed version):

Loud Lady: I don't have an applicator for this.
Clerk: It looks like it doesn't come with one.
Loud Lady: But I don't have one at home, I've never had this problem before.
Clerk: Let me check.
(At this point the Reinforcement Clerk shows up and speaks to the lady in a low voice.)
Loud Lady: Yes I know it's a suppository, but I don't have an applicator for it!
Reinforcement Clerk: It doesn't have one.
Loud Lady: But I don't have an applicator. I need one. It's very sore.
(Reinforcement Clerk goes to get the Actual Pharmacist, while Loud Lady repeats 'It's very sore'...apparently for the general public's knowledge.)
Actual Pharmacist: *speaks in low voice*
Loud Lady: I know it's a suppository but I don't have an applicator.
Actual Pharmacist: You don't need one, you just... (I'm assuming there were hand motions here but by now I was trying so hard not to laugh that I couldn't possibly look, for fear of having to leave and come back later when the hysterics were over.)
Loud Lady: But I need an applicator.
Actual Pharmacist (who has a very heavy accent by the way): No, you just...you don't have to put in far, just little bit...with your finger...

This went on for roughly five more minutes before the woman finally accepted that there was, in fact, no applicator...and left, at which point every person behind the counter broke into hysterical (yet very discreet) giggles.

I was so proud of myself that I was able to ask for my prescription without bursting out laughing. But it was close. In retrospect, I totally should have asked him if my birth control pills came with an applicator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home